Three point road trip by Butte in first series in Rapid City

Oct 10, 2021

For the first time ever the Butte Cobras traveled to Rapid City to face the new Badlands Sabres. After winning the series opener on Friday 6-4 the Cobras fell short in their quest for a sweep, losing in overtime on Saturday night 3-2.

With nine games played the Butte Cobras (3-4-0-2) sit tied for fifth place in the eight-team NA3HL Frontier Division. Gillette (10-0-0-0) and Helena (8-0-0-0) have yet to taste defeat while Bozeman (5-1-2-0) and Great Falls (3-3-2-1) round out the top four.

Badlands scored twice in the first period of the series opener, but Butte dominated most of the remaining five periods over the two games. Rookie Ross Biggerstaff scored twice while adding an assist to help the Cobras win on Friday. Cade Wessman (one goal, four assists), David Hanny (one goal, three assists), Fabrian Vik (one goal, one assist) and Caleb Manson also scored. Butte ended with 51 shots on net compared to just 28 for the Sabres.

The Sabres opened scoring once again on Saturday, but Fabian Vik scored his fifth of the season to even things at 1-1 in the second frame. Wessman and Manson assisted on the powerplay goal.

An early goal in the third had the home team back in front, but the Cobras offense continued to pressure the Sabres keeper. Butte posted 40 shots in the second and third while Maxim Currie turned away all but two keeping his team in the game.

J.D. Lion scored his first-ever NA3HL goal at the 11:56 mark of the third to tie the game 2-2. Robbie Arver and Tamer Billman each chipped in with a helper.

The teams headed to overtime and Seth Stock ended it at the 3:35 mark to earn the extra point for Badlands Sabres (4-4-0-0). Despite a 56-31 shot advantage the Cobras had to settle for a point in the standings.

Goaltender Caleb Cross started in both games for Butte seeing his record move to 3-2-0-1. His .916 save% is best on the team.

Next up is a home-and-home set with the Bozeman Ice Dogs. Butte hosts on Saturday 7:00 PM before the teams move on to Bozeman the following day.